Stars Note Trustedshop4.50/5.00 out of 8,883 certified reviews

Install your own glazing films: anti-heat, opacifying, ...

Co-ownership: can I put window film freely on my windows?

Guide January 26, 2023 2023-01-26T08:00:00+08:00
Window film

You live in an apartment building and you are part of a condominium. You want to put film on your windows because you are too hot or you want to cut off your neighbors opposite but you have questions about your rights? Find all the answers to your questions in this article.

The co-ownership regulations

Rule of Law: "The Court of Paris has ruled that the clause in the co-ownership regulations providing that the windows, although constituting private portions, cannot be modified without the consent of the architect and the trustee, is lawful."

This means that as soon as the glazing film that you apply to one of your windows is considered to modify the exterior appearance of the building, you must then obtain authorization for the installation of window film to the general assembly of co-owners. Indeed, the facade being considered a common part, this action constitutes an infringement of the harmony clause of the co-ownership regulations. Therefore, any modification of this type will require a prior agreement.

Which glass film is concerned?

Depending on your needs, you will most often turn to a heat protection filmIt is a good idea to know that the 3 types of films are different and have various compositions. It is good to know that the 3 types of films are different and have various compositions. Indeed, the most discreet are the frosted glazing film and decorative film. They cut the vis-à-vis in a very discreet way by blurring the glazing. For this film, the rule is relaxed because the modification is not very visible from the outside, generally this does not pose a problem even if you can still ask for the opinion of the assembly. As for the anti-heat or mirror film, its mirror effect can radically change the appearance of the glazing from the outside because of its mirror effect. The agreement of the assembly of the co-owners is essential because it concerns "the works concern the private parts, but they modify the external aspect of the building".
In case of non-compliance, the co-owner is condemned to remove the glazing film installed on his windows in his apartment.


Generally, the private parts include the interior and the rooms of the apartment. This includes walls, floor coverings, partitions, ceilings, shutters, windows, blinds, fireplaces, and kitchen and bathroom equipment. However, party walls, large walls and the chimney flue are not included. Common areas include courtyards, parks, gardens, passageways, corridors and the main structure of the building.

In conclusion, if you wish to install glazing films on your windows in a building, you may do so, but if these films are mirrored or if they modify the exterior appearance of your building, you will need prior authorization from the co-ownership.